I’m always looking for a better way to cook a steak. If you search “How to cook a perfect steak” you’ll find hundreds of recipes and videos. I was pretty sure I’d tried them all and had already cooked the perfect steak. Until now. I’m here to tell you that this method absolutely results in the perfect steak.
- Rib-eye steak (we used a Prime cut, about 1.5 lbs each but yours should be at least 1.5 inches thick)
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cowboy Kent Rollins Original Seasoning (or use the rub of your choice)
- Fruitwood Pellets for Smoking
- Pre-heat smoker to 225 degrees
- I’ve always let meat come to room temp before cooking. But for this method you will need to make sure they are cold and come right from the fridge. Our steaks were around 52 degrees. This gives them time to smoke long enough without cooking too quickly.
- Coat steaks generously with Kosher salt. Do not be afraid to use a lot. These are thick steaks and you're only seasoning the surface. If we were only eating the surface of the steak then it might be too salty. Since we’re eating the whole steak, then the seasoning on the surface has to be enough to properly season every bite.
- Continue seasoning with pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, rub and paprika (paprika must be put on last).
- Now you're ready for the smoker.
Smoke and Sear:
- The smoker should be set to 225 degrees.
- Place the ribeye steaks on the smoker with a thermometer.
- You only want the steaks to reach approximately 115 degrees. This should take between 35 and 50 minutes.
- Once the ribeye temperature has reached 115 degrees remove the steaks from the smoker.
- Heat up the flat top or cast iron pan for about 5 minutes or more. You want it to be very hot to properly sear the steak.
- Reverse sear the steak for about 5 minutes per side. You’re looking for a nice crust on the steak.
- After 5 minutes turn the steak over and grill for 5 minutes on the other side, turning a quarter turn after 2 or so minutes. I usually sear the sides of the meat as well, especially on a thick steak. By now the smell is making you hungry.
TIME TO REST, SLICE AND EAT:
- Plate the steak and add a few slices of butter to the top.
- Let the steak rest for about 10 minutes, covered (tented with foil, not a tight cover).
- Slice the steak from the end, in quarter inch thick slices, and serve. If all went right you will have the perfect medium rare steak. What I consider the best steak I’ve ever had! Enjoy!!!
In the video below I show you each of the steps to prepare and cook the perfect ribeye steak.
See the Camp Chef VersaTop on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2IXsnN9
See the Green Mountain Grill Pellet Smoker on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2K1cTJK
See GMG Premium Fruitwood Pellets on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2MtChtw
See the Kizen Instant Read Thermometer on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2G53UUn
You can also visit RV Habit's Amazon Page for all the great items we use at
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases